Privacy at AgriEducate
AgriEducate is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
The team at AgriEducate are committed to protecting your right to privacy in relation to the collection, management, storage, use, accessibility and disclosure of your personal information.
- what personal information we collect and why
- how we use your personal information
- when we will share your personal information
- how we keep your personal information safe
- the choices we offer to access and update your personal information
- how to provide feedback or make a complaint.
While it may be a little dry, it certainly is important so please continue reading.
We may vary this policy from time to time to keep up to date with changes in our data collection and legislation. The most recent version can always be accessed here on our website.
Personal information belonging to minors
AgriEducate is not intended for, nor directed to, persons who are under the age of eighteen (18) years old. Unless we have parental or guardian consent in line with our obligations in the Privacy Act, we will not collect personal information about any person known by AgriEducate to be under the age of eighteen (18) years.
What kind of personal information does AgriEducate collect?
AgriEducate collects personal information including some sensitive information, for various operational needs (outlined below) as voluntarily provided by individuals at their discretion.
The kinds of personal information we collect includes:
- name, identification information and contact information;
- email address;
- residential and postal address and telephone numbers;
- opinions and personal interests;
- certain sensitive information, including some cultural background information and your agricultural and/or personal story;
- academic and education background;
- website cookies and site visitation statistics for use with Google Analytics; and
any other personal information provided in forms and documents you may submit to us. You have the right to refuse to provide personal information to AgriEducate. However, if you do not disclose certain personal information, your usage of AgriEducates’ services may be impaired, such as the potential to assess your application to participate in our competitions and programs, and our ability to respond to your enquiries.
How does AgriEducate collect personal information?
The manner in which we collect personal information that we collect will depend on your relationship with us. It may include information that:
- You give to us – including your personal and contact details, e-mail address, phone number, gender and photograph.
- We collect when you use our services – such as your log-in information, your farming preferences, the ways you interact with other users (e.g. comments you leave or information shared through social media) and how you view and interact with our ads and other content (e.g. how a particular user scrolls and uses their mouse on a page).
- Is device information – including crashes, dates and times of requests and device identifiers such as your IP address and MAC address.
- Relates to our contact with you – including when we have e-mailed you and how you have responded, records of feedback you may have provided and our response to that feedback.
- You provide about other people – including their e-mail address and challenges you may have suggested for them.
We endeavour to collect personal information directly from you. AgriEducate collects personal information as part of its process in receiving applications for the essay competition and other competitions, programs and operations run by AgriEducate.
We may also collect personal information about you from third parties as part of the application process for the essay competition. If this occurs, we will take reasonable steps to notify or make you aware that we have information about you, how we will use and disclose the information, and that you may contact us to gain access to and correct the information.
We will deal with any unsolicited personal or sensitive information in accordance with law. This includes destroying the information or ensuring it is de-identified where we are permitted to do so by law.
How does AgriEducate hold personal information?
AgriEducate holds personal information solely in electronic files accessible only by designed, official AgriEducate volunteers.
How do we use your personal information and why do we collect it?
AgriEducate collects, holds and uses personal information for the purposes for which it was collected including:
- assessing and facilitating the essay competition;
- assessing the suitability of applicants and potential volunteers;
- communicating and managing our relationship with you;
- providing competition prizes and awards (if applicable);
- sharing your story in agriculture (if applicable);
- publishing personal information, including competition essays, on our website; and
- managing website traffic information.
AgriEducate will, on occasion and where appropriate, use personal information in direct marketing with you. Direct marketing may occur by email. You may request to not receive direct marketing communications from us by contacting our Privacy Officer (see contact details below). We will not spam, sell or rent email addresses.
How do we share your information?
We do not share personal information with companies, organisations and individuals unless one or more of the following circumstances apply:
- With your consent – we will share your personal information when we have your consent to do so. This may include with a third party providing a prize for one of our competitions, one of our partner organisations with compatible products and services, or connecting you with judges for the essay competition.
- For legal reasons – we will share your personal information with companies, organisations or individuals if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of AgriEducate, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Our products and services let you share information with others. Remember that when you share information publicly, such as on social medias, it may be indexable by search engines.
AgriEducate is unlikely to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients. If this is required and appropriate under the Privacy Act, AgriEducate will seek your consent.
How do you access and correct your personal information?
AgriEducate will respond to your request for access or correction within a reasonable period after the request is made. We will also take reasonable steps to give you access in the manner you have requested.
AgriEducate may not be required to give you access to your personal information in certain circumstances, such as if it would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals or it would be unlawful.
Where we refuse to give you access to, or do not correct, your personal information we will provide you with written notice of our refusal.
We may keep a record of previous personal information recorded, if we have a legitimate business or legal reason to do so.
How do we keep your personal information secure?
We will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information held in electronic form from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We are serious about the security of your personal information and we work hard to ensure there is no unauthorised access or changes to your personal data. We do this by only allowing your personal information to be accessed by official AgriEducate volunteers.
You must also ensure, in providing personal information, that the personal information is both relevant and accurate.
How can you provide feedback or make a complaint?
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 1042
Phone: 1300 363 992
TTY: 1800 620 241